Comparing the All-New 2021 Genesis GV80 and Volvo XC90 Luxury SUVs
“We developed GV80 by looking inward and asking ourselves how Genesis brand DNA could differentiate our very first SUV, and I’m overwhelmed by what the Design, Engineering, and Development teams have accomplished. It’s proof that we infuse the spirit of youth and wonder into everything we do.”
- Mark Del Rosso, CEO, Genesis Motor North America
The flagship SUV from Genesis is here and it’s ready to take on the competition! The all-new 2021 Genesis GV80 perfectly balances a host of available features and intuitive technologies with an undeniably luxurious interior and elegant exterior design.
In the interest of best serving our customers we’ve produced a side-by-side comparison with the GV80’s most comparable competitor in the market today—Volvo’s XC90 luxury SUV. While both vehicles offer top-of-the line premium capabilities, we invite you to consider the similarities and differences between the two. We’ll start with general specifications before transitioning into the crucial safety and technology attributes that we know are so important to our customers.
|Genesis GV80 2.5T I4 RWD||Volvo XC90 T5 Momentum|
|Horsepower||300 @ 5,800 RPM||250 hp @ 5500 RPM|
|Engine||2.5-Liter Turbocharged Inline 4-Cylinder||2-Liter Direct Injected Turbocharged Engine 4-Cylinder|
|Torque||311 Lb-Ft. @ 1,650-4,000 RPM||258 lb-ft @ 1500 RPM|
|Seating||5 seats||6-7 seats|
Both the Genesis GV80 and the Volvo XC90 were awarded a 2021 IIHS Top Safety Pick+*
- In its inaugural year on the market, the brand-new 2021 Genesis GV80 has been named a Kelley Blue Book’s KBB.com Best Buy Award Winner. Encompassing 16 categories of vehicles that undergo rigorous testing and review, the Kelley Blue Book Best Buy Award is reserved for only those vehicles that come out on top when it comes to space, ease of use, features, quality, technology, and more.
- Outshining every other competitor in its category, the brand-new Genesis GV80 is one of the Best New Cars of 2021, according to Autotrader. Autotrader’s team of experts tested and scored every new model against comfort, style, quality, driving experience and high value. Only all-new and updated vehicles scoring at least 4.0 on a five-point scale were bestowed this distinguished award.
- The Genesis GV80 boasts an impressive advanced safety suite:
- Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist can alert you to a potentially unseen vehicle and apply corrective measures to help avoid a collision.
- The Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist helps detect slowing or stopped vehicles as well as pedestrians ahead of you. The system then alerts you of a potential collision and automatically brakes when needed. In addition, when you’re driving along a non-divided highway, the Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist can help prevent collisions with oncoming vehicles if you drift into the opposing lane with its Lane-Change technology.
- The Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist warns you if vehicles are detected approaching from the sides and, when necessary, automatically applies the brakes to help prevent a collision.
- The Driver Attention Warning alerts you when you may be fatigued or distracted. Able to analyze variable driving patterns, it issues visual and audible alerts when it senses you should stop and rest for safety’s sake.
- Whether backing into a tight space or squeezing into a difficult parallel spot, the GV80’s Remote Smart Parking Assist allows you to remain outside of the vehicle while it parks itself. After standing safely aside, simply press and hold the key fob button and the GV80 intelligently parks without driver assistance.
- When you’re behind the wheel of the GV80, a Highway Driving Assist II system not only works to help maintain a set speed and a healthy distance between you and other cars ahead, it also helps you stay centered in your lane and assists in making lane changes when requested.
- Intelligent driver assist technology can help detect and avoid a collision.
- Four HD cameras that give you a bird’s eye 360° view when you’re trying either to park in a confined space or parallel park.
- The blind spot information system (BLIS™) with steer assist can ease tension in busy traffic with alerts and active support.
- A cross traffic alert system warns of approaching vehicles and can make it easier to find your way out of a tight spot. Includes emergency brake assist for imminent collisions.
- Cloud-based communication allows you to receive and share road condition information. Real-time data helps you, and others, prepare for what’s ahead.
- The Run-off Road Mitigation system helps steer and brake if you unintentionally stray towards the edge of the road.
- The GV80 brings innovation to the forefront, introducing new technology such as its groundbreaking Smart Cruise Control. Mapping driver patterns with Machine Learning, this new cruise control system behaves the same way you would when adjusting to the needs of traffic and road conditions.
- The available 14.5-inch HD Multimedia & Navigation Control infotainment screen offers a selection of intuitively designed controls that are accessible by hand, handwriting, or voice recognition. The GV80 design team has opted for a floating touchscreen which further enhances visibility.
- The 2021 GV80 cabin HVAC system is intelligently designed with a 3-zone climate control, ensuring each passenger is well cared for. Optional ventilated and heated seats are available for those customers looking to maximize comfort.
- The standard Pilot Assist system can lend a helping hand by providing gentle steering support to help keep the car centered in its lane, and at a set speed and distance to vehicles in front.
- Bowers & Wilkins speakers
- Head up display provides call, speed, and navigation information while allowing the driver to keep their eyes on the road.
- Preheat and pre-cool feature
- Includes advanced filtration technology as part of what Volvo OEM calls its “world-first air quality system” designed to help make the cabin air clean.
Drive the Winning GV80 at Genesis of Dearborn
Our team at Genesis at Dearborn would like to invite you to try out the Genesis GV80 for yourself. While this comparison describes its features, we know that it’s really all about how you feel once you get behind the wheel. If you’re in the market for another Genesis model, we would be happy to show you our full lineup of new vehicles. What are you waiting for? Contact us to set up a test drive and see for yourself why the GV80 is at the top of its class.